And now… what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments and statutes of the LORD, which I am commanding you today for your good? Deuteronomy 10:12-13
You shall fear the LORD your God. You shall serve him and hold fast to him, and by his name you shall swear. He is your praise. He is your God, who has done for you these great and terrifying things that your eyes have seen. Deuteronomy 10:20-21
There’s not too much that can be mistaken about these verses, in which Moses states the five basic requirements that God expects of each of His children (Micah 6:8)-
- to fear the Lord your God: to hold God in awe and submit to Him;
- to walk in all His ways: to conduct life in accordance with the will of God;
- to love Him: to choose to set one’s affections on the Lord and on Him alone;
- to serve the Lord your God: to have the worship of the Lord as the central focus of life;
- to keep the commandments… of the Lord: to obey the requirements the Lord had imposed.
It comes down to: Who do we trust with our lives? Ourselves, or our Creator and Lord – or is He? As I look through these five points, I realize that it’s not hard to put the focus of any or all of these on ME. It’s very easy to focus all of my life on myself, and it’s even easier to focus what I want to focus on ME and to give God… well… the leftovers and/or what’s comfortable for me to give Him. 😦 But that’s not what these verses are outlining as requirements. The word “all” is emphasized, repeated and unmistakably THE point of focus here, and the target of that “all” is GOD. 😀
Fear Him. Serve Him. HOLD FAST to Him. CLING to Him with a white-knuckle grasp that does NOT let go.
He is your praise. He is your GOD. Give Him your ALL. He is worthy of nothing less.