Let the wise hear and increase in learning,
and the one who understands obtain guidance…
– Proverbs 1:5
You’ve been there. We’ve ALL been there. The place where others expect you to know: the answer, the action to take, the decisive move – and you don’t don’t DON’T. You don’t have the solution to bring instant gratification and results to the challenge being faced. It’s a point where your back hits the wall and you stop. You face the reality in your face: you don’t know it all. At that moment, you may not even know much of anything. So…
What DO you do when you don’t know it all?
Face the reality. No one knows it all. As a matter of fact…
This is a huge secret kept well-hidden by most…
Many people face this reality consistently. They just don’t acknowledge it publicly. They may even squash it privately. This is where reactions such as bluffing, story-telling, embellishing, and sometimes down-right fib… no… lying become the norm.
Don’t stoop to that level. Rise to the reality. What to do when you don’t know it all?
1. Acknowledge it. Face it. It’s the TRUTH, for crying out loud, so believe it.
2. Smile. Welcome to the human race. Run the race with integrity, and eat a bit of humble pie. You don’t know it all and, as a matter of fact…
3. Remember: Most people don’t LIKE people who act like they DO know it all, because they are obnoxious. #truth
4. Tell someone when you don’t know something. “I don’t know” is not profanity, does not make you weak, and makes you transparent. You become approachable. You become “one of us.” Leaders speak the truth. Be a leader – don’t hide the fact you don’t know it all.
5. Be teachable. Look for opportunities to learn. Ask questions. Be a life-long learner.
What to do when you don’t know it all?
Face it. Learn. Grow. Expand your horizons.
Life is a journey – enjoy it by learning as much as you can along the way.